The Nudgee Junior College redevelopment is a response to the school’s expansion and includes new classroom building, new hardcourt facilities and refurbishment to existing classrooms. The focal point of the college campus is the original, modernist brick building, constructed in 1939 based on a design by Charlie Fulton, which houses the school’s administration, art, library and music facilities and forms the main entrance to the school. The original heritage listed building has informed this latest project.
The street frontage of the new classroom building is wrapped in brick to reflect the original features of the existing school buildings. Rich red brick with a lustrous blue/grey brick banding is used for the two main wings of the new building. The two wings are connected by a timber and block work curved courtyard link. This courtyard features a V-shaped roof, a dynamic mixture of steel and timber battening which is grounded by a rendered block work base. The curved hardwood timber battening and steelwork that frames the space creates a lightweight more modern, open architectural feel to this significant corner of the building.
The more subdued street aspect of the buildings are in contrast with the inside elevation which utilize bright splashes of colour and pattern. The colour selections are an arrangement of primary bright blue and red with bold orange and green adding to the liveliness and an expression of the youthful exuberance of the school community. The new buildings pay respect to the original forms and materials of the existing building while providing a measured contrast of a modern, open and lighthearted architectural expression.